Craig Shirley – Mary Ball Washington


The mother of the father of our country.

Mary Ball Washington was an unlikely candidate to be the mother of historys most famous revolutionary. In fact, George Washingtons first fight for independence was from his controlling, singular mother.

Stubborn, aristocratic Mary Ball Washington was entrenched in the Old World ways of her ancestors, dismissing the American experiment even as her son led the successful rebellion against the crown. During his youth, ambitious George dove into the hard-scrabble work of a surveyor and rose through the ranks of the fledgling colonial army, even as his overprotective mother tried to discourage these efforts.

Marys influence on George was twofold. Though she raised her eldest son to become one of the worlds greatest leaders, Mary also tried many times to hold him back. While she passed down her strength and individuality to George, she also sought to protect him from the risks he needed to take to become a daring general and president. But it was this resistance itself that fanned the spark of Georges independence into a flame. The constant tug-of-war between the two throughout the early years helped define Georges character.

In Mary Ball Washington, New York Times best-selling author Craig Shirley uncovers startling details about the inner workings of the Washington family. He vividly brings to life a resilient widow who single-handedly raised six children and ran a large farm at a time when most womens duties were relegated to household matters. Throughout, Shirley compares and contrasts mother and son, illuminating the qualities they shared and the differences that divided them.

A significant contribution to American history, Mary Ball Washington is the definitive take on the relationship between George and Mary Washington, offering fresh insight into this extraordinary figure who would shape our nation – and the woman who shaped him.

Supplemental enhancement PDF accompanies the audiobook.

PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.

Author: Craig Shirley
Narrator: Kirsten Potter
Duration: 10 hours 58 minutes
Released: 19 Mar 2012
Publisher: HarperAudio
Language: English

User Review:

stage thyroid

Perhaps…
Well never know…
There are no letters…
Etc….
Estimating that 95% of this book covers colonial history and George Washington in the period ( ok, let the reader know thats what they are in for)…and the remaining 5% deals with Mary but roughly about 2% of that is actually supported. Much of what addresses Mary is either conjecture or reference to the custom of the period and therefore attributed to her. It is frustrating and tedious to persevere through the book, expecting that the author will eventually reveal some newly discovered and real history or information about Mary Washington herself. Never happened.

Indeed it is evident that the author read the works of others about the Washingtons and the period as he freely references the books or works of credible authors. Sadly theres not much here about Mary beyond supposition.